[G4] Mixing Airport and Airport Extreme

Tony Gamble tgamble180 at rogers.com
Sat Apr 8 10:34:40 PDT 2006

On 8-Apr-06, at 1:07 PM, Jones Earle wrote:

> I want to add an Apple Airport Extreme Base Station as a wireless
> router for two machines:  My new Intel iMac, which has an airport
> extreme card inside, and my old G4/400 (AGP) which can only use the
> older Airport card.
>
> Will the presence of the older Airport card (11mbps) affect the
> speed of my iMac and Airport Extreme (54mbps)?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> earle
> *

According to a document at the Apple site (http://docs.info.apple.com/
article.html?artnum=107372), they should mix well:

"When you mix 802.11b (AirPort) and 802.11g (AirPort Extreme) clients
on an AirPort Extreme network, each type of client receives an
appropriate data throughput rate. The 802.11g clients continue to
receive data at a higher rate than 802.11b clients."

- Tony

---
iBook G4/1.42GHz/1GB/OSX.4.5
G4 MDD/1.25GHz/1.5GB/OSX.4.5