[G4] Dual 867 RAM question...

GDB-MDD-X.4.6 dougburton at vevayindiana.net
Wed Apr 19 20:18:02 PDT 2006

On Apr 19, 2006, at 11:01 PM, Chris Loehr wrote:

> Crucial says you can:
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts
> asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2BPower
> +Mac&mfr=Apple&tabid=AM&model=Power+Mac+G4
> %28Dual+867MHz+DDR%29&submit=Go
>
> So does Kingston:
> http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/modelsinfo
> asp?SysID=12306&mfr=Apple&model=Power+Mac+G4+Dual+Optical+867MHz+%
> 28Mirrored+
> rive+Doors%29&Sys=12306-Apple-Power+Mac+G4+Dual+Optical+867MHz+%
> 28Mirrored+Dr
> ve+Doors%29&distributor=0&submit1=Search
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Chris

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion.  When I went through the
proper search by selecting this model from the various menus, it
states very clearly:

We recommend a minimum memory total of at least 512MB. And since your
Apple Power Mac G4 (Dual 867MHz DDR) supports up to 2048MB of memory,
you may want to install even more, especially if you work with
several programs at a time or use memory-intensive software, such as
image-editing software.
(Keep in mind that sometimes BIOS updates and other hardware
configurations can alter memory recommendations.)

What you may have found is that the machine will support the 1 Gb RAM
sticks, but only 512 Mb will be recognized as often happens when
using unsupported RAM.

Just a message from Doug...