[G4] Slow DVD burner?

Charles Cox chuckcox at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 28 08:37:11 PDT 2006

 Dear List Members,

I think there is a problem with my DVD/CD burner.  It takes about 37 minutes
to burn a D5 disc of 3.2 GB file size.  The burner is a superburner Matshita
UJ 835S replacement for the original burner in my Titanium Powerbook G4. It
 has been a while since I've used the DVD burner, but it seems to me that it
was either an 8X or 16 X burner for DVD's and burned discs more quickly than
it is currently.  I'm using the same procedure used before - Disk Utility.
Looking at the console log report, it states "requested DVD
burn speed was 47X, actual burn speed is 2X.  I'm using Verbatim blanks
rated at up to 16X.  Have been using them for quite a while.  OS is 10.3.9,
with 1 GB of RAM. System disk has 14 GB of unused space. Permissions have
been
repaired. Source material is an .img file located on the system drive. An
alternative location is an external drive, Maxtor 250 GB, 7200 rpm unit
connected by FW
400.

Are there any tests I can perform to determine if the drive is burning more
slowly than it should, or have I provided enough information for someone to
make a recommendation?
    Many thanks,
    Chuck Cox