[G4] Kernal Panic, then crash

Rick Smykla rsmykla at verizon.net
Thu Dec 14 04:08:19 PST 2006

Steve,

I have an almost identical QS, including CPU upgrade. A couple things
to consider here. . .
KPs are generally caused by either 1) hardware incompatibility or
fault, 2) bad kernel extension software, 3) overheating (see 1)

If you haven't changed your hardware config lately, it could be
overheating, especially since the dual 1.8 is an overclocked CPU to
begin with. I had this problem with my GigaDesigns card (purchased
early this year). The company replaced the card after asking me to do
a voltage (jumper) change and some additional testing. In my case, I
run the folding at home client software, which maxes out the CPU usage
24/7. I didn't see any problem with this card until the warmer
weather appeared, and I wound up setting the card to 1.6 GHz to keep
it stable. I eventually contacted the company with a description of
the symptoms and they supplied me with a redesigned card, which has
performed well and without problem at the rated 1.8 GHz.

Do you run any processor-stressing software such as f at h? To explore
this option further, you could try resetting the clock speed to 1.6,
and see if the problem persists. If so, I'd start examining other
possibilities, such as a bad RAM module.

HTH,

Rick