[G4] G5 at Goodwill somewhere

chip puller chippuller at msn.com
Mon Dec 18 07:33:15 PST 2006

First things first.
1.  I removed all of the ram chips and have tried single ram chips in each
of the sockets and still get kernal panic.
2. I replaced the HD with a brand new HD and installed OS 10.3 and still get
KP a lot.
3. I erased the pram about 50 times and still get KP
4. I rewrote the boot rom code and got the message it was replaced and then
booted off of the OSX 10.3 cd and got KP in about 2 minutes after booting
off of the cd
5. I reseated the processor daughterboard and all of the cables and still
got KP too many times to count.
6. I took the new HD out of the POS mirror door and put it in my G3 blue and
white  no KP
7. I reinstalled OS 10.3 on the blue and white and it took 54 minutes to
reinstall what ever was missing. I ran the blue and white over 5 hours with
no KP of any kind

Fact. I suspect the G4 logic board is flakey since reinstalling the boot rom
did not fix the KP problem
I also suspect the factory CD rom in the POS mirror door G4 is bad as some
times when I check the system profiler there are no devices on that bus even
though the CD drive door opens and it will recognize a CD if one is put in
the drive.
  This mirror door G4 is the first computer that I have ever wanted to put
out of it's misery in 26 years of computer repair. I thought some of the
earlier 286 pee cee processor clone computers were junk from the factory but
Apple dropped the ball trying to make the G-4 processor computers different
then their other models just to make people want to buy them because the end
user was too stupid to realize that Apple was screwing them. The G-4 upgrade
for the Blue and white G-3 comes to mind. I have a first revision G-3 and
will never upgrade it's boot rom for that reason. Sorry Apple but dropping
the ball doesn't make me want to upgrade to a G-5 and I never will. (unless
I find a used G-5 at Goodwill somewhere)
   Al