[G4] Re: G4 Wireless Security

Eric Buczynski emaxxx4 at warpmail.net
Tue Dec 19 13:58:07 PST 2006

Russell,

I've never heard of setting the security on the card.  The only
security I can think of is making sure the screw holds the PCI plate
to the back of the Mac.  I have the same exact card ($10 on ebay
new), and the only security measure I know of is to set the firewall
in the System Preferences panel under Sharing.

You'll have to go into the router setup screen (http://192.168.2.0 or
however it is setup by default), then configure the router security.
 From there you can set up a password, then go to the Mac under the
wireless menulet, select the "Crate Network..." option, and it will
bring down a new panel.  From there click "Options" and now you can
set a password on your wireless network.  This should do it but I
can't be too sure since I'm connected to a PC downstairs that's
directly connected to the internet.

Eric

I have a Motorola Wireless  WPC1810G card installed in my G4. It
works fine. The problem I am trying to solve is setting the
security in the card. Since this is running on apple software, I have
not figured out how to access the card since all software
for the card is PC . I want to encrypt the wireless router and the
wireless card since both have to have the same security
encryption.

Anyone had any experience with this type of a situation? Any help is
appreciated.

Russell