[G4] (G4) AppleWorks 6.2.9 - the end of an era...

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Dec 19 20:42:02 PST 2006

On 20/12/2006 7:33 AM, "Richard Ramsowr" <r.ramsowr at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> With some regret, it’s time to let my fellow brethren
> within the mac community know of the retirement of my
> aging but trusted copy of Appleworks 6.2.9. In favor
> of the latest copy of Pages 2.02 which I have been
> learning and using for the last few months!

Richard,
I have read your sad piece with sympathy, and the various other comments
that have followed. I do appreciate the feeling of losing something very
familiar, but I will say something from a different point of view, the point
of view of those who started computing in the era of OS X and during my
learning phase listened to all the 'old pro's' who told me how I had to have
OS 9 on a separate partition because of all the great things about the old
programmes like Quark and AppleWorks etc.

I came to the conclusion after trying to use Appleworks etc that computing
has improved dramatically since those old days, OS 9 itself, as well as
those older apps are, from my perspective, the reason that Apple nearly
died. I learned to hate OS 9 and AppleWorks. You needed to have grown up
with them when there was nothing better in order to like them. Office took
over because it was better, and now Pages is light years ahead of Word in
terms of a likeable, easy, yet powerful word processor with a bit of extra
design elements thrown in. It does have limitations in it's interoperability
with other computers that don't have Pages, but I love it, and am currently
writing a 500,000 page book in Pages.

AppleWorks had it's day, but it is ready for the ashes to be spread in the
wind. Rest In Peace

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art