[G4] Recurring Problem with Start up

Jazille Eilles Jaz at eilles.org
Thu Dec 21 11:57:39 PST 2006

Hello

I had a problem with starting up my G4 several months ago when I was
in the halycon care of Apple Care, now time elapsed.  A resolution
was found after several hours and frightening mutterings of bad
drive.  The drive wasn't being recognized and I was instructed to
reset something under the hood.

The G4 has and is exhibiting similar symptoms.  I delved into the
inner workings and reset the PMU, having forgotten if that was the
solution.  It didn't work.  Techtool is advsing me that I have a
Bitmap Mismatch (-90) and a problem with Volume Structure (-117)
which I currently trying to repair.  I have replaced the battery
(clutching at straws).

The symptoms are grey screen and constantly spinning icon with the
tone on start up.  The fan tries to start but doesn't make it.  There
was a few glimpses yesterday of the flashing question mark/finder
face before the grey screen.

The G4  was bought in March 2003 lGHZ/256mb (expanded two years ago)
60G running OS 10.4.8.

Any advice or suggestions as to an alternative button to push would
be gratefully received

Jazille