[G4] audio burn errors on Sawtooth

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Sun Dec 31 17:01:44 PST 2006

Carol wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have an interesting thing going on.  I reciently started using Taiyo
> Yurden 52x CD-Rs.  I have a Sawtooth with a replacement burner.  The
> replacement is a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4520B.  It plays CDs and DVDs.  I
> have not noticed a problem using Toast 6 to burn data on the T.Y CD-Rs.
>  However, audio burns have definite static sounds.  I never noticed the
> problem when burning onto Sony 24x discs. In fact, I just burned a Sony
> CD-R today and it sounded fine.
>
> I also have a MMD that has a superdrive.  I decided to try using Toast 6
>  to burn an audio CD on a T.Y disc.  It sounds fine.  I can also burn
> audio CDs from a PEAK 5.01 LE playlist on the MMD.  I like the fact that
> PEAK will verify the audio burn.  Toast does not.
>
> All burns were at 4x.
>
> I thought of trying to burn using PEAK on my Sawtooth.  The idea was
> that with PEAK's ability to verify, I would know immediately if there
> was a problem.   Unfortunately, the drive is not recognized.  It is not
> an apple drive.  I got it years ago when I was still using OS 9.
>
> I would like to use the Sawtooth for CD burning.  However, if the
> combination of Toast, an audio burn and the T.Y. CD-R blanks is
> unreliable and I cannot use PEAK, I'm somewhat stuck unless I can find
> more Sony blanks that work.
>
> Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any suggestions.

It sounds like the T.Y. discs aren't a good match for that particular
drive, so there are audible errors when you burn to them, with that
drive, at 4X.  Try burning some discs at 2X and see if that helps.

You may be able to find different firmware you could flash to the drive
that would help it work better with the T.Y. discs.

It looks like your drive is made by LG Electronics (formerly Goldstar),
but I don't see that model listed at lge.com (they don't list GCC-4520B,
but they do list GCC-4521B).

I found firmware for it at the korean site (http://www.lge.co.kr/).
It's v1.01, released 2/6/2004 (or maybe it's 6/2/2004), but I think you
need Windows to install the firmware, and I can't read the Korean on the
page, anyway.
You can download it here, in any case:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/yepdb4

You can also look here, but I think you'll run into the same issues:
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=3&manufactor=16

--
Rich