[G4] Problem with spreadsheets in Classic mode

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 3 07:49:48 PST 2006

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 20:22:19 +1100, Tony Johansen wrote:
> My apologies for the philosophical answer in the absence of any solutions
> that get the program you choose working. Best of luck.

No apologies needed. I didn't report the whole story.  I use databases most of the time and spreadsheets very little.  I need Excel on the G4 in order to convert some of my old spreadsheet files to a format that can be imported by my OS X spreadsheet program.  I saved a lot of the old files in slyk format because I thought it would be the most transferrable but it doesn't work and I need to go back and save them in Excel format.  I really can't justify the cost of MS Excel or Office for the little use I would have for it.  The old versions were bought for work before I retired 10 to 15 years ago.

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 05:12:05 -0800 (PST), Richard Ramsowr wrote:
> You should maybe take a hard look at something called
> "NeoOffice" It's no longer in "Beta" and it's a
> complete working suite of office like soutions
> including a spreadsheet. it's also fully supported. It
> looks and feels a lot like "Word' and "Excel" it can
> also read and write your "Excel: sheets. It's a winner
> and best of all it's free and works on 10.3.9!

I have tried NeoOffice several times ( including the newest) and strangely enough, it will import my Lotus files but will not import my Excel 4 files or SLYK files.  Also I really don't like the user interface very much, especially the finder integration (Open file, etc).  Once you get over the steep learning curve, I much prefer using Ragtime Solo (also free) as a replacement for Word and Excel.

S. Kennedy