[G4] Panther or Tiger?

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Tue Feb 14 09:56:54 PST 2006

At 09:05 -0800 2/14/06, Perry The Cynic wrote:
>--On February 14, 2006 9:56:30 AM -0700 Doug McNutt <douglist at macnauchtan.com> wrote:
>
>>If you need to use AppleTalk to communicate with older Macs (< OS 8 or <
>>OS 9 as server) you cannot use Tiger. Other than that it's probably
>>better than Panther.
>
>What is it that's not working with Tiger and AppleTalk?

It all reminds me of Henry Ford's six year automobile and the Wonderful One Horse Shay.

Apple deliberately disabled AppleTalk except for printers in 10.4.0. In 10.4.1 they put it back for Windoze SMB but not for old Macs.

I still use my SE/30 as a file server and upon installing Tiger it stopped working..  Apple did publish a technote on it but didn't put it on the net until the day Tiger was released. I, like a fool, attended the show put on by the local Apple dealer and bought 10.4. I installed and then had to back out to keep my SE/30 running.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_qdr=all&q=AppleTalk+10.4+sharing+site%3AApple.com&btnG=Search>
--
-->  The best programming tool is a soldering iron <--