[G4] Panther or Tiger?

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 14 15:00:18 PST 2006

On 15/2/2006 2:55 AM, "Anne Keller-Smith" <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:

 maybe just skip to
> Panther or Tiger?

Anne, in your case it would appear going to Panther is advisable. 10.3.9 is
a perfectly beautiful OS and every piece of software I have come across so
far is designed for 10.3.9 and Tiger. Your longer term problem is that this
will change eventually, and quite likely as soon as the release of Leopard.

Frankly you are in a technological hole with no way out. It is time to start
thinking longer term and eventually eliminating the need to use older
systems.

Without it really going through the fanfare of revolutionary hype, we are
experiencing the benefits of more GB and faster processors that has allowed
the evolution of increasingly sophisticated ways of doing things. It seems
that this is not always compatible with older things and engineers
eventually have to cut off the older parts that are hindering the forward
journey.

Older systems are feeling this bite very strongly now. For example none of
the major web browsers are available for download in a OS 9 compatible
version any more. Increasingly OS 9 will become more and more isolated from
the main computing world until it is of value only to collectors of historic
machines.

The move to Intel will fairly quickly result in the same thing happening to
Tiger and Panther I suspect, but you will have enough useful time to make
the move worthwhile.

All the best, and enjoy the upgrade,

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com