[G4] Panther or Tiger?

Robert MacLeay robertmacleay at mac.com
Wed Feb 15 15:37:19 PST 2006

Your idea of booting off the OS9 install CD should work, but I doubt that if
you succeed it will do you any good. Your only option would be to erase the
disk and install OS9 onto the erased disk, and I suspect you do not want to
do that.  Still, you can try inserting the CD and choosing it as the startup
disk from inside System Preferences.

I can think of a couple suggestions, but they involve external drives, which
not all iMac G3s support.

The simplest thing would be to burn a copy of a working OS 9 System Folder
from another Mac onto a CD, and copy it off the CD onto your hard disk.  The
gotchas involved are that:
1) It should be a version which is compatible with your iMac.
2) Any Classic components in the System Folder would be compatible with the
version of OS X presently on your iMac.
3) Your internal hard disk has OS9 drivers installed on it.