[G4] DVD Rom/Ram in a G4 450mhz?

Wayne Clodfelter wayne at troutnc.com
Tue Feb 21 01:46:02 PST 2006

DVD-ROM drives shipped stock in G4 AGPs (Sawtooth). My Sawtooth had
one which I replaced with a Pioneer DVR-109.
But the DVD-ROM drive, as I remember, could read DVDs, just not write
them.

Not being able to watch movies on DVD may be a function of the app,
ie, DVD Player not working with the drive or system. Does the DVD
mount on the desktop? Is the DVD disk clear of smudges and fingerprints?

I once had a problem with the DVD-ROM not reading CDs/DVDs well. I
bought a ~$10 laser lens cleaning disk at CompUSA and that helped
restore good function to the DVD-ROM drive.

HTH.