[G4] Standalone DVD burner Mac Compatible

bigthor at webzone.net bigthor at webzone.net
Tue Feb 21 06:10:23 PST 2006

I continue to shop for a standalone DVD burner compatible with Mac OSX.
  I want to transfer my VHS/Beta tapes onto DVDs.  I prefer a burner
with an internal drive of at least 60-80 GB.  As for A/D converters,
they're tempting, but I haven't bought the Canopus because of the
logistics of connecting audio/video cables from VCRs and turntable (for
LP burning) not near my Mac.

Double layer DVDs (DVD+R DL) burned on my Superdrive play well on my
Toshiba DVD player, but often skip around on my older Panasonic player.
  MacWorld recommends the Pioneer DVR-533/633H-S recorder.  Biggest
flaw: users dislike its noisy hard drive that constantly downloads TV
Guide (on or off).

No one unit seems to have all the desired features or is liked by all
its users.  Does anyone recommend the Pioneer DVR-533/633H-S?

G4 733 MHz 2001 Quicksilver, OS X 10.3.9, 640 MB RAM, Iomega ZIP 250,
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D Superdrive flashed with PatchBurn 3.1.3, LaCie
74 GB and Fantom 233 GB external HDs, 20" Cinema Display.  QuickTime
Pro, Flip4Mac Import, Toast Titanium 7.0.2, MacTheRipper.