[G4] Apple's modem software - help needed

keith_w keith_w at dslextreme.com
Thu Feb 23 11:10:27 PST 2006

I have a Power Mac G4 MDD, 1.25 Ghz chip, OS 10.4.5.

I got a belly full of my aftermarket fax software, so decided to use the
Mac's own software/instructions for running my internal fax/modem.

I'm finally getting used to it, after a bunch of stumbling around, but I
really DO need one piece of help from some kind soul out there...

I ran across a statement in a Finder Help document that mentions that I
can access a fax icon in the Dock.
What icon would that be, and since I don't see any such in MY Dock,
where can I find it?

I have a dead simple telephone handset icon in my finder's menu bar, and
when a fax comes in or goes out, I see scrolling text beside that,
telling me what the modem is doing...but, I'd MUCH rather get a window
with some much more detailed info than that!

I'm guessing the Dock's icon that was mentioned might display such a
window, but I don't have a clue...

For instance:
I had been having a heck of a time getting the fax modem to comply with
and follow the settings I had put into the System Preferences/Print &
Fax setup.
No matter what I did, I couldn't send or receive any faxes.
Frustrating...!

Sometime very early this morning, I read something that said I should do
a Desktop Rebuild after ANY installation. Heck! I hadn't done one of
those since OS 9!

However, since they provided a way to do it, "Restart while holding down
the Command-Option keys," I did that.

As *soon* as the new Finder's desktop window came up, after the
rebooting exercise, the Finder's menu bar showed an outgoing fax being sent!
     Whoa!
Over the past few days I had tried to send two different faxes, both
without success, and now it seems one of them was being sent!But...which
one?
I can't seem to find any "Sent Faxes" folder, which is where I would
expect it.

Anyhow, that's sort of icing on the cake, as I've already received faxes
in my Fax Folder, and have initiated and sent two of my own subsequent
to that, so all is fine. It works as advertised!

Now, if I can only find out _who_ I faxed _what_ to, I'd be totally
happy! For this morning, anyhow!  ;-)

Thanks a lot for any help!

keith whaley