[G4] Bandwith dropped

Michael G-2 at att.net
Sat Feb 25 07:47:06 PST 2006

My G4:

400Mhz, (A G-E.... OS 10.4.3) 1/2 Go o' Ram.  On a LAN w/ a D-Link
router...cable to the router, Comcast broadband. It's networked
w/WinXPPro/W2k & and an old W98 lapper. (Simple WORKGROUP)

Ok, in the past couple of days my DL bandwidth on he G4 seemed 'slow'.

I wuz right!

Yep, in multiple tests - - the XP & 98 are getting 6-8Mb\s DL and the
Mac is barely breaking 3Mb\s!
(The upload on all is  350-500+ Kbs)

I have no problem with the smb connection to the Win machines...It was a
bit tricky, but both machines communicate well...but, each is hooked to
the router, no Internet Connection Sharing. So, my prob is with the
Internet connection only, only w/ the Mac and not with the LAN to the
other boxes....

In the past,(If the G4 got funky)  I could go to the Network and kill
the DHCP, get a new connection and it would be up to speed. No luck.

I've rebooted (unplugged) the modem, the router...(I run Disk Utility
daily just because I was told it's 'a good thing to do')

I've rebooted, ----

Hey, I've done everything to 're-establish' a connection or clean out
any grunge in the G4 which might be choking it.

Nuttin' changed.

  The Winboxes are getting the juice (Twice the DL speed?!) & I can't
figure why the G4 is hitting the wall at half the DL speed!

Even the old Win98 lapper is OK on the same router. If anything, the G4
was a bit zippier because I have loads of 'protection' on the
Winboxes...I feel a bit safer with he Mac...Nothing should be 'in the
way'.  (& no "new changes")

Nope, I've made no changes in anything in months.  Plus, this all
happened in the last few days...w/no new apps - - no changes in anything?

I'm at a loss.  Nothing I've done on the Mac will get the DL speed back
up to the 6-8 MB/s which it and the other machines on the LAN always got!

Yeah, from one day to the next it was on par with the Win boxes and
nothing I've been able to do to it has mattered.  It's stuck at half the
bandwidth (DL only) that it used to get and the Win machines are still
getting.

Don't know if it matters?  On large DL's?  If I hit a stubborn packet,
it is reluctant to resume...Any drop (less than the already low DL
speed) and it doesn't 'bounce back'.
Yeah, all machines it a blip and recover...the G4 gets smacked & doesn't
even return to the sloooooow DL speed.

No 'routine' seems to be able to bring it back to speed...I've tried
every trick I know and upon re-connect it's just not behaving.

michael