[G4] Bandwith dropped

Richard Northouse rnorthouse at wi.rr.com
Sun Feb 26 18:07:01 PST 2006

Try switching data cables. Perhaps there is kink, or poor connection, and
packets need to be resent -- therefore the BW reduction.

My 2 bits worth!

rich

------------------------------
Did you try to re-start  the mac and see if the network speed
improves, it might be one of those things that happens after a
computer has been on for some time...
Daniel J. Brieck Jr.

On Feb 26, 2006, at 9:42 AM, Michael wrote:

> First, thanks for the non-M$ "it's not our problem" attitude ( the
> monopoly where any problem is "mine" - - - & can't be addressed as
> it may indicate a weakness of the OS).
>
> But, the response(s) (and links) indicate:
> 1. The risks of applying 'fixes. tweaks or changing fundamental
> setting within any OS - - Yes, I've tried Dr. TCP on the
> Winboxes...dunno if it mattered but it seemed like a minor tweak
> and I can't say it did anything!
> See, I have no reason to believe any settings which worked for six
> months are wise to tamper with.
>
> So?
>
> 2. Since my Mac has been getting over 6MB/s since I bought it (10-'05)
> # and it only blinked out on Friday
> # and 'only' dropped by 50% (rather than failing)
> # and the Winboxes are fine
> It's hardly a catastrophic incident.  I mean, more things must be
> right than wrong?
>
> Nah, I'm not sure I want to take a radical step and _do_ some thing
> (s) which could get me in a deeper hole.
>
> My guess is I need to _undo_
> BUT WHAT!?
> No setting outside the OS (modem/router tweak) - - - Not only do
> they check-out...They don't seem to have had an effect on the
> Winboxes on the 3 other LAN ports and the G4 was happy till Friday.
> If it's been running for months at 6+MB/s....It seems risky to
> tamper with settings which prolly didn't have anything to do with
> losing 1/2 of my DL speed in one day.
> (I did connect the G4 directly to the modem...same, same...So that
> takes the router out of he equation, and the same modem is OK with
> the Winboxes?)
>
> I was leaning toward a "Network" 'setting/file/code/config' which
> is "stuck" (and I don't know it).
> I'm not a Unix type?  I see a lot of files/folders which perform
> functions & unlike the bizarre M$ registry, it isn't always clear
> what functions these particular 'files' influence.
>
> So, I'm thinking it's prolly more simple than not? As bizarre as it
> is (one machine on a LAN dropping DL by 1/2 - - in a day?) -- I
> gotta believe its code/config related - -  some pref/config/file is
> either wrong or in the way (should have been ditched & is hanging
> around).
>
> I mean, what's left if we eliminate the router, modem (as probs)
> and have two other boxes running at full speed (and the G4 'did'
> until Friday)?
>
> I still think the craziest thing is I have alot of speed (2MB/s
> ain't shabby!) - - - It's just that it was getting 6+ as the
> Winboxes still are.  Yeah, if it totally blinked out - - - That
> would make sense...It's too bizarre that it hits the wall at 2MB/s....
>
> Keep dem brains workin'....I'm outta tricks and the link provided
> below doesn't seem to address my folly.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
>

> On Feb 25, 2006, at 9:32 AM, James Pacyga wrote:
>
> > > you can also go to the Apple site and download the Apple Broadband
> [...]

Listmom is trying to clean out his closets! Vintage Mac and random stuff: