[G4] OT: Ergonomic Chairs

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Feb 28 15:33:32 PST 2006

On 1/3/2006 1:14 AM, "Anne Keller-Smith" <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> Being one year shy of 50, it would seem that things are breaking down a
> tad. To wit, I need a more comfortable office chair. Having been to
> Staples and surfed a bit on the net, it would seem that some chairs
> offer various features that are supposed to provide support.
>
> Some of these are a tilt lever, so you can lean back a bit, a
> forward-backward adjustable lever on the back, and of course and up and
> down lever. There's a pretty good chair at Staples with adjustable arms
> I'm considering for $129. (never spent so much on a chair! altho you
> can spend $500 on an ergonomic chair if you want to!)
>
> My problems are I'm a bit short, so if I'm sitting right in front of my
> Mac LCD monitor (top of frame at eyebrow level) to avoid neck strain,
> my chair has to be high enuf so I have to put my feet on two fat books.
> I'm still getting some neck strain, tho - keyboard too low? Need arms
> on the chair?
>
> Any of you who are of similar age or condition, please email me for a
> date (just kidding!) no please email me with your adventures and what
> you finally purchased that was good. And yes, I'm exercising and doing
> yoga.

Anne,
At 50, I too probably could benefit from an ergonomic chair but I find that
due to the way I habitually sit (when not thinking about it,) my leg moves a
lever and all of a sudden it lowers to it's lowest setting. Boy would I love
to find one that has levers where I can't easily move them. As it is, that
happens at least a couple of times a day, and my subconscious always moves
me back to the same position, and it happens again. Please tell me if you
find a model that would solve this.

As to the date, would love to, but the US of A does seem like a little too
far to go from Sydney for a coffee :-)

All the best with the chair hunting.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com