[G4] Re: Applejack question

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Thu Jan 12 08:41:43 PST 2006

On Jan 11, 2006, at 5:20 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:06:53 -0500
> From: jim carbone <dictator at rebargraphics.com>

> I ran it today on my PowerBook, and it's doing something that I never
> saw it do before. I started up in single user mode, ran AJ in the
> Autopilot mode, and after (or possibly during) the permissions repair,
> it gets to a point where it just writes line after line of a "+" then
> all periods very slowly.
>
> It did this once and I let it sit like this for hours. I don't hear any
> hard drive activity, and the noisy cooling fan doesn't kick on at all.
> Eventually, I rebooted the machine, let it boot into OSX (Panther),
> then rebooted into Single User mode and tried again. It's now doing the
> same thing. There seems to be an error code after the "Repairing
> Permissions" line of malloc[186] and a description about being unable
> to byteswap something it what looks like iTunes.
>
> I can be more specific if need be, but does anyone know what's going on
> here?

I cannot say what is going on, but one question:  What happens when you
run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility on the same hard drive?
That answer may help the experts know what AppleJack is doing.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.