[G4] OK. Now I am starting to get a little irritated. Flatliner MDD.

Maj. Richard H. Blount (OHMR Ret.) majorrich at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 12 13:23:10 PST 2006

OK. I have installed new memory, new hard drive, different DVD (a 108!) and
the $%#$&^*&^ thing still sits there with its tongue hanging out. I have
tried using OS9 boot disk, OSX1.0 system disk, OSX1 for G4 system disk and
the rebuild disk that I was given with the system. I've tried every memory
slot, reset every conceivable kind of nvram, pram, ram charger, ram air,
Dodge Ram, reset the processor, tried every memory slot with new and old
memory, and get laughed at by the bloody thing. I was convinced I had bad
memory, but alas get the same thing with both. So I now have a Gig of memory
for this thing.

When I use the plain old OsX install disk, I get the happy mac face and the
beach ball (encouraging eh?) then the happy face tears in half and the
system once again laughs in triumph.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe  have the wrong system restore
disks. It seems to get farther in the process with this disk. I get happy
Mac, then the grey Mac OS screen, then the blue MacOS screen with the weird
textured background and a moving like thermometer bar. Sometimes I get to
the stylized person holding a disk then to the part where I get to select a
disk to restore to. Then either it sees no disk, or says the disk is not
compatible. This occurs on all three controllers and can die at any point
along the way.

I was able to get it to install Ubuntu and it works on any of the three
drive busses, but when it tries to start, the@#$#$% thing wont recognize the
keyboard so wont complete the boot process. That¹s where I very calmly
removed everything from the case, closed it, took 2 valium and sat here in
front of my trusty G4 AGP 400 that actually works, and placed my heart out
on my sleeve.

Are there any Mac Jocks out there that live in or around Newark, Ohio that
might be willing (I will buy the beer) to cast a second set of eyes at this
thing? OR does anyone have the for sure correct restore disks for an M4570
1.25 Ghz DP. I am almost in too deep to part it out now! :-(

Rich

--
It is not enough to aim, you must hit.

Richard H. Blount