[G4] Re: OK. Now I am starting to get a little irritated. Flatliner MDD.

Maj. Richard H. Blount (OHMR Ret.) majorrich at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 12 18:28:20 PST 2006

<Snippity snip snip.. Rich is whining... Rich whines some more... Ok>

> Ask your rescue squad to show up with some OS X 10.3 Panther disks in
> black color (retail version).  But seriously, why do you want to use
> 10.1?  That brings a whole set of issues you surely do not want.
>
> To check out your disk set, I assume they are grey in color, since you
> mention having the restore set.  Note the production or serial numbers
> in fine print below "CD version (whatever).  Report them here and maybe
> someone will verify whether that set came from Apple for your machine.
>
> Check the ReadMe info or the .pdf file in the first window when opening
> the first disk.  My copy indicates which machines the installer will
> work on (using 10.3).
>
> Do you have an external drive or useless partition with your AFP 400
> where you could check that your CDs are in good condition?  Or access
> to someone's else's machine?
>
> Hope this gets closer to your solution.
>
> Al Poulin

I am looking at the first grey disk and (after I remove my glasses) see Mac
OS Versions 10.1.2, 9.2.2 CD Version 1.0 691-3345-A

I also Have 2 other Grey disks one labeled Power Mac G4 Mac OS X Install.
Its tiny print is Mac OS version 10.1.2 CD version 1.0 2Z691-3344-A

The other is an OS 9 Install with Tiny print Mac OS version 9.2.2 CD Version
1.0 691-3363-A

Then I have a set of White Disks with a Huge blue X which I take to be a
stand-alone OsX installation disk as that is all it says. Tiny Print is
Version 10.0.3 1Z691-3064-A

But Wait... There's More I have a set of Upgrade Disks! White with a Huge X
in Leopard(?) fur. Tiny Print Version 10.2 2Z691-3854-A

Finally, At the bottom of the box, was a Grey Disk Labeled Powerbook G4
Software install and restore Tiny Print Mac OS X Version 10.3  AHT verion
2.0.6 DVD Version 1.0 691-4703-A

Whew! Now remember I am not really Mac Savvy having only these two Macs and
an Aging HP Vectra which I am currently using as a storage server. I am
learning all this by Immersion and find myself learning more by drinking
from a fire hose! This was kind of a parting gift as I took a disability
retirement from a major university (to remain nameless, but was in the
Fiesta Bowl) there were a butt load of these in use and I must have got the
dingleberry from one of those butts. ;-) Anyway, I am hemorrhaging cash on
this thing that I thought might be a relatively easy re-assembly job.

That¹s how all the good ones start......
--
It is not enough to aim, you must hit.

Richard H. Blount
Maj. OHMR (ret.)