[G4] Flatliner MDD

Maj. Richard H. Blount (OHMR Ret.) majorrich at adelphia.net
Fri Jan 13 04:40:59 PST 2006

> Richard:
>
> The military give out free vallium?
>
> I have a dual MDD 1.25 ghz here and I could <cough cough> disks for you
> to use on yours.  Well the Apple diagnostic disk at least.
>
> But would it not help to cart that puppy into an Apple store and let
> the genius there take a look.  I know they are expensive but they will
> tell you exactly what parts you need and how much Apple wants for them.
> But with list in hand you could also look on ebay etc. for the bits.
> Remember though, Apple just replaces parts til they get it right.  To
> me, your ghost in the machine points to your motherboard or multiple
> other things that culminate in the error.  Ever have a bad wire?  I had
> a cube that had less problems (but ghosty too) and I sold it once I
> lost confidence.  Got an imac G5 instead.
>
> My point being that the G5 line is about to get the crap kicked out of
> it (price wise) and there should be some awesome deals in the used
> dept. over the next 2 years.  I would not spend alot of money on this
> G4.  If you want the hardware disks then I will need an address ... to
> send to.
>
> You could try installing OS9 on the beast to see if it swallows that.
> Do not try to Restore.  Run Disk Utility from the OSX install disk and
> wipe/reformat the drive.  Then install OSX or OS9 (try both).  Use a
> full install disk and a clean install for the OS.  Maybe your keyboard
> has a bad USB wire or the USB bus in the G4 has a problem.  Hey, you
> sure this is an Apple processor and not a 3rd party upgrade?
>
> jj

I would certainly appreciate a <Cough wheeze cough> chance to check out your
rebuild disks. My address posted earlier in the thread, but here it is
again.

Richard H. Blount
365 Alford Drive
Newark, Ohio 43055

Due to my illness I no longer drive. That is part of the problem here. I
have alllll daaaay lonnnnng to look at this thing and obsess. :-]

I found one obviously bad cable that looks like someone closed the case on
severed a couple wires on the high end (opposite the #1 wire) of the ribbon
cable. But that is on the Optical drive that is working fine. (Crazy heh?)
the shorter ones from the ATA66 and 100 controllers look pretty good. I have
a cable from an older HP that had an ata 66 controller. Same number of wires
but without the removed wire that enables the serial ATA. I will work that
into the rotation to see what that does.

I am mostly trying to get it to gimp along until the flood of goodies starts
to appear on ebay. Then will scarf one up.

<Snip the whining>

It is not enough to aim, you must hit.

Richard H. Blount
Maj. OHMR (ret.)