[G4] New Hard Drive

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sat Jan 14 07:54:33 PST 2006

On 1/12/06 5:20 AM, "BROADWAY33 at aol.com" <BROADWAY33 at aol.com> wrote:

> Need help installing new Seagate ....Ultra ATA 120 Gig Hard Drive...I
> installed as master hard drive in my G4 Mirror Door unit, leaving the factory
> setting
> jumper at cable select mode...
>
> The G4 will not recognize the hard drive as a location to install OSX.
>
> It shows up in the list of items when I go to "about this Mac"....it
> registers as a # 0 drive...whereas my 60 Gig HD with the OSX system installed,
> registers as # 1 drive
>
> I tried installing ONLY the new drive with the OSX disk (with jumper set at M
> ASTER mode)to no avail.......are there settings I need to adjust to get this
> drive to register as a known location to install OSX and use as my primary
> drive, with the 60 Gig being used as the slave.

I think you have both hardware and software issues. There's no reason not to
have both drives jumpered as "Cable Select". However, out of the box you
can't do the OS X installation on the Seagate drive unless you first Erase
it and install a Mac OS compatible file system on it (open Disk Utility from
the OS X installer DVD).

Jim Robertson