[G4] Regular Disk & OS Maintenance?

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 16 13:30:46 PST 2006

Hello All -

I have not been doing my regular maintenance very regularly, and may
now be suffering from it. The Mac is a little flaky (a little slow,
some spinning beach balls, Preview not wanting to open files the other
day, had to force quit), and today the monitor just started flashing
on/off, on/off. Uh, oh. I don't think it's the monitor because the
mouse (a Targus fiber-optic one plugged into the keyboard USB port) was
flashing on/off too.

I have a Diskwarrior update on order from Aldus, but that takes a
couple weeks, so they say.

If it goes ga-ga again guess I'll call around and try to get a Techtool
or Norton (would prefer the former) to see what's up.

I did boot up on the Jaguar CD to run Disk Utility both to fix
permissions and do a disk repair. Don't know if the errors it found
were serious or not. It did say "Disk Repaired."

Did not do Apple Hardware Test as the CD is old (2001) and came with
original OS 10.1.1? Should do? Should d/l one from somewhere? Doesn't
matter what OS because we are talking about hardware? Also did not do
as would have to unplug everything and yank the internal memory card
and PCI card (ugh) but will do if you guys say I must.

What should I be doing on a regular basis? Using my Macjanitor MORE
often, I would think - daily? weekly?

Using Diskwarrior every month?

What do you all do?

If the drive crashes altogether, well, it's a 4-year-old computer,
it'll be time for a new one. Files all backed up pretty much daily. So
it wouldn't be too bad.

All advice and even wagging tongues invited and gratefully received.

P.S.: Does it sound like a kernal panic? I haven't had one of those
since I installed Jaguar so have sort of forgotten what they are like.
Don't they involve scrolling shell commands on screen? This was none of
those, it seemed like the computer thought it was a neon light for an
inner city hotel.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design
G4 733mHz (OS X 10.2.8)