[G4] HOW TO MAKE MY DSL ROUTER WORK....

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 24 18:16:57 PST 2006

What OS are you using?

I have 10.3 and it could not be simpler.  Plug the WAN port to the
modem and plug your computer into the ethernet port (on router).  Set
NETWORK pref (comp prefs) to DHCP over Built-in Ethernet so router can
give a number to the computer on your side of the firewall (firewall
built-in router).  Then launch your web brouser and log into your
router (check the manual for the router).

Asante is  http://192.168.123.254/
D-Link is  http://192.168.0.1/
LinkSys is  http://192.168.1.1/

Your password is
admin
on all these routers.

Once logged in you can set it up any way your ISP requires - if you
call them they will help.
I have seen modems not work properly as well.  If you have done
everything right and it doesn' t work then take the router back and get
another one.  After my 5 yr old Asante router died I had 2 D-Link
routers (new and in a row) fail in the same day.  I will never purchase
D-Link again - ever.  I now have the LinkSys router.

Hope this all helps.

jj

On 24-Jan-06, at 10:41 AM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com