[G4] sawtooth connecting via ethernet

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Thu Jan 26 18:50:01 PST 2006

Greetings ( + )!( + )

I have a Belkin wireless router connecting a G4, G3 and a Toshiba
portable to a Comcast provided modem and I have never had to "Spoof"
the MAC or make any changes to the Belkin default settings to gain
access to to internet. The G4 and G3 are hard wired and the Toshiba is
wireless.

The only thing that I've had to to is follow the procedure that I've
provided before on this forum.

If I want to connect directly to the Comcast provided modem from my G4
I have to follow the procedure of removing power from the Comcast modem
and then connecting my G4 and next powering up the Mac. That's all
there is to it, very easy.

On Jan 26, 2006, at 3:15 PM, nagable at comcast.net wrote:

> When I first installed my Netgear wireless router (Quicksilver 800MHz
> and a couple of iBooks with Airport cards), I couldn't get the iBooks
> on the internet.  I called Netgear, and they told me to set the router
> to "Spoof the computer's Mac address."  I did, and got on right away.
> I called Comcast first, and they told me they don't support wireless
> routers.  This was about 2 years ago.  Things might have changed, but
> I doubt it.
>
> Nate
> From: TM Buffalo <tmbuff at gmail.com>
>> I get an IP address and ruter address when the sawtooth is conected
>> via ethernet directly to cable router and also gets one when I plug it
>> in to the wireless router but then the pages wont load. the wireless
>> and cable router are both at their default settings. I thought of
>> enabling internet sharing on the sawtooth but i keep getting warnings
>> that doing so will change my router and other computer settings or I
>> might violate my contract with my ISP provider?
>>
>> Should I enable it and see what happens or is that not the issue?
>>  thanks so much for your response didn't get much from the list
>>  not sure why.
>>
>> Tamara
>>
>> On 1/25/06, James Pacyga <jim.pacyga at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>> Do you have an IP address and router address in your Network
>>> Preferences under the system preferences?
>>>
>>> If so, do you have the wireless router set up correctly?  I.e., are
>>> you filtering MAC addresses and have not entered your G4's MAC
>>> address in the router? are you enabling DHCP? are you limiting
>>> certain clients (some routers can be set to accept only 802.11b or
>>> 802.11g or both (also 802.11a)?

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.