[G4] Hard Drives & Video ???

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Fri Jan 27 07:11:13 PST 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 6:17 AM, Richard wrote:

> I have a upgraded sawtooth G4 450
> to a G4 1.5Ghz OWC extreme and 2.0GB of RAM
>
> Now, I need to add the fastest hard drive controller,
> and adaptec 29160 is not it. with a 15K RPM drive.
>
> So, what is?

It's not clear from your message whether or not you already have a
15,000 RPM SCSI drive or not, but if not and you really are after the
fastest drive you can get, it's actually not a SCSI drive.

 From Storage Review's Leader Board section (http://
www.storagereview.com):

Desktop / Single-User  	Western Digital Raptor WD1500  	Lowest
Price:  $282.99

"WD's newest Raptor delivers the best single-user performance one can
buy regardless of interface and spindle speed. For about the same
price, Hitachi's Deskstar 7K500 sacrifices some speed but offers over
three times the Raptor's capacity while remaining a peppy performer
in its own right."

You'll need an SATA controller. Make sure the one you get supports
the latest SATA standards.

Phil