[G4] g4 running os9 on pc named network

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jul 1 17:23:55 PDT 2006

On 2/7/2006 7:31 AM, "SLarsonIH at aol.com" <SLarsonIH at aol.com> wrote:

> Tony,
>
> <RANT ON>
> I have one question to ask. In what way did you answer his question? I don't
> want to start any flame wars, but your answer was of ZERO help!

Actually, I hope it was of a lot of help, since he may not have considered
that he may find himself with unexpected troubles by going with OS 9. Steve
you have lots of OS 9 software and a great deal of experience with the
system. For you (and your friends and relatives) keeping with old familiar
ways is definitely easier. This guy may not have access to those same
programmes that you collected over the years, and he may discover trouble
even finding a browser to download for OS 9 to access the internet. (I think
Mozilla has an OS 9 version still) there is no more IE, no Firefox and so
on. Some software will be available and some wont. Even in OS X most of the
new software requires 10.3.9 or better. My wife has OS 9. I know the trouble
she has these days. Also you don't realize that for us guys who have never
used OS 9 the simplest of operations that are virtually automatic on OS X
appear to require all sorts of extra steps on OS 9. Just because it is
easier for you who are used to 9, does not make it easier for someone
learning cold turkey

> Not everyone (actually, a lot don't seem to, but tend to not speak up because
> of responses like yours) likes OSX. I've had 10.3.9 on both my QS and MDD for
> quite some time, and find myself going back to 9.2.2 for numerous reasons.
> I'm slowly moving to OSX, but I find X to be very confusing compared to OS9. I
> have a TON of software I use in OS9 that is paid for. Moving to X means
> spending money on new software to do that same job my paid for OS9 software
> does now.

No one is suggesting you ditch your software and move to OS X. If you are
happy, I am happy. The comment I made was directed at someone who has a
certain problem, I said I don't know the answer but that there are good
reasons for him to consider another option, the option of going to OS X It
might make it easier for someone who probably will need to get some software
over time. You know, a bit of friendly advice said in a good neighbour
manner. I am sorry you are offended, but the comment has nothing to do with
you. I looked at my comment, it is friendly and definitely says nothing
about your situation.

> Finding drivers for SCSI stuff (scanners) that works in X isn't easy either.
> Over the years I have found ways to work around the few problems I have in OS9
> so that they don't impede me. Your statement that EVERYTHING is easier in OSX
> is a flat out lie. It MAY be easier for a lot of people, but not everybody.
> Some of us are tech support for our friends and relatives who will use OS9
> until they die, so we can't leave it behind even if we wanted to. I myself am
> slowly moving to OSX, but find it difficult and time consuming. However, I
> know
> it's the future and X will eventually be worth it.

Okay, so there no doubt are some things that might be easier, and then again
you might be mistaking your familiarity with OS 9 ways with ease. I don't
know anything about your scanner, My scanner was a breeze to set up on OS X.

> So, let me say two things. If you don't have an answer to a question or
> useful help, SHUT UP! Get off the back of those who don't like or can't go to
> OSX,

As to your rudeness, bud. Anyone who shouted shut up to you in person would
no doubt be risking you calling him out, for good reason. Same with me.
Using an e-mail does not remove the need for common courtesy.

> like SCSI instead of IDE/ATA, like OS9, or worse, like and use AOL, etc. We
> generally have good reasons for our decisions. If he can't find a solution for
> his problem in OS9, he'll probably move to X on his own.

I am sure this guy had excellent reason for installing the OS 9, like that
was the only OS that came with the machine. And maybe he doesn't realize
that the sun is setting on 9. Perhaps he thinks it is like Windows where the
majority of software seems to be available for old OS.

So you would be happy for him to just feel his way around in the dark, not
tell him anything other than the precise thing he needs to know now and not
indulge in some friendly lateral thinking. All because you have loads of OS
9 software and know the system like the back of your hand. hmmm

> This is not personal. You may have even meant well. Remember that some people
> don't have the option to move to X. Right now, OSX gives me no joy. OS9 does.
> <RANT OFF>
>
> Steve

I am sorry you find no joy in OS X, Steve. But don't tell me to shut up. Oh,
and after all that, did you (with all your experience) have anything useful
to offer for his problem?