[G4] OpenFirmware can't open bootdevice anymore

Till Wimmer g4-lisz at tonarchiv.ch
Mon Jul 3 06:33:23 PDT 2006

Hello

Yesterday I booted into Os9 and did some work there (Protools) -
everything worked fine. Then I changed the startup disk back to Os
10.3.9 using the control panel.
But after rebooting only the "no system found" icon came up. Next i
rebooted holding down the option key, but there was no system folder
displayed for selection.

Of course i resetted PRAM, pressed the PMU button... still the "no
system found" icon!

Then i put my PPC linux disk in it and.. IT WORKED!  Putting back my OsX
/ Os 9 disk - no booting.

OpenFirmware says:
0 > boot hd:,\\:tbxi  can't OPEN: hd:,\\:tbxi
 ok
0 >
It tried this with ide0, ide1, hd, ultra0, ultra1...

My next step was to put the OsX/Os9 system disk in an other mac and run
Disk Utility on it. It reported no problem.

Now i'm at my wit's end.

Is there a tool to check every partition on a disk i.e. all the relevant
things for booting? Maybe i deleted some driver on the the disk?

It's a G4 Digital Audio with OsX 10.3.9 and Os 9.2.2

Any help would be much appreciated!

Till