[G4] New Member - G4 Dual 867 MDD in shipment ... be kind, FedEx!

Dave March dkmnow at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 10:04:33 PDT 2006

--- Frank Sudore <fsudore at mac.com> wrote:

> Dave,
> WELCOME!
>   Unless you really need OS 9, why even install it?
> And be lucky it's
> Fed-Ex, UPS would bring it in pieces.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Frank Sudore
> fsudore at mac.com
> 954-253-1933

Thanks.  :-)

True enough about UPS.  But in this instance, FedEx
seems to be having a series of "blonde moments."  It's
not "due for delivery" until this evening, still, they
could have delivered it days ago.  They've been
bouncing it back and forth between two local
facilities since Friday night ... while filling me
with a sense of dread.  Oh well -- all will be
revealed ... just a few more hours.

As for OS 9, I do have a lot of old software I'll be
needing to use.  It may all turn out to run just fine
on the MDD in Classic, but that wasn't the case with
the iMac.  That's at least partly because I was trying
to run Panther on a G3 with only 128Mb of RAM.  OSX
and Classic were very sluggish and glitchy running the
apps, so it was much better just to boot into 9, which
was always lightning fast and rock solid.  Also, I was
using a Maxtor 30G HD that had major corruption issues
that only started after I started using OSX.  I had no
means of making backups until recently, and lost many,
many gigs of critical data.  After all that, I just
ditched X and kept 9 as clean as possible.

But you're quite right, if things go well with the
MDD, I may eventually ditch OS 9 altogether.  One step
at a time!  First order of bidness, after the MDD
passes inspection, is to load up my old drives and
burn off copies of everything, post haste.  No more
down time or data loss for me!

:-)