[G4] New Member - G4 Dual 867 MDD in shipment ... be kind, FedEx!

Dave March dkmnow at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 10:36:03 PDT 2006

--- Rick Smykla <rsmykla at verizon.net> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Why not just add your new HD to the box, install a
> fresh copy of OS X
> on it, and wipe the previous drive of everything but
> the supplied
> OS9? It's preferable to have OS9 on a separate
> volume anyway, IMHO.
>
> Good luck,
> RIck

True enough.  But then, my usage isn't really
intensive enough to be running multiple drives all the
time.  Being dirt-poor, I have to keep them alive as
long as possible, so I prefer to have additional
drives disconnected when not in use.  I may experiment
with using some of my older/smaller drives on the
ATA-66 side just for temporary on-the-fly file
backups, but I expect I'll be keeping most of my
bigger/newer drives on moth balls for later.  Also, I
might need the second ATA-100 drive bay space when I
start experimenting with airflow/cooling mods.  Dunno
yet.

My experience with multiple volumes was all on the
iMac, so I'm not up to speed on all of that.  Having
all the resources of a PowerMac will change things
considerably, so I have no idea yet what sort of
storage configuration I'll settle on.  Time will tell.

:-)