[G4] Help with formatting 250gig drive

SKYGRAM skygram at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 14:32:56 PDT 2006

Alaric,

I have the same model of G4. These machines will not recognize hard
drives beyond 128gb. This is due to limitations in the firmware.
However there are two ways around this. The first is to buy an added
ATA card. They are quite expensive for Macs but this way will also
allow you to add more hard drives as they give you extra controller
capabilities.

The second method is what I went with and it is a small program called
ATA Hi-Cap Installer. I went with this approach and it was simple to
install and it works very well. I installed a 160mb drive and I can
access 152.67mbs of it.

http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml

It should cost around 19 or 20 Euros. The Intech web page explains it
all quite well.

Bill
Montreal