[G4] QuickSilver or QuickSilver 2002?

Richard Klein rich at richardklein.org
Fri Jul 14 19:55:56 PDT 2006

James Asherman wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2006, at 9:33 PM, Richard Klein wrote:
>
>> My new G4 was billed as a QuickSilver (eBay item #110004450795 if
>> you're curious).  Checking Apple's site I saw that I'd be getting a
>> GeForce or a Radeon video card; a step up from my GigE's Rage 128
>> Pro.  When it arrived, though, it had a Rage 128 Pro inside.  It also
>> has a single 800MHz CPU.  The CPU suggests that it's a QuickSilver
>> 2002, but it wasn't sold as a 2002, and there's no guarantee that it's
>> even the original CPU.  So, how do I tell the difference between a QS
>> and a QS2002?
>>
>> I haven't even plugged it in yet to see if it boots, though...
>>
>> -- Rich

> I think you got hosed on the display card.
> Jim

Thanks Jim.  I had looked at that page, but it shows the only
differences being the video card and the CPU.  The video card obviously
isn't what came in it, so I don't know if the CPU is, either, and I'd
like another way to verify what model it is.

I definitely got hosed on the video card, but I'm okay with that.
Incidentally, I have now tried it out, and it seems to work fine.

-- Rich