[G4] Back up G3/G4

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Jul 21 11:03:25 PDT 2006

On 07/21/06, Tony Johansen <tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > On 21/7/2006 2:26 AM, "John Baltutis" <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
>>> On 07/20/06, Tony Johansen <tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>>> Also I do not know if, when disaster strikes, and the G3 is defunct, if I
>>> replaced it with a G4, would the restore still work? In other words is there
>>> something about the G3 that would prevent a bootable clone that originated
>>> on a G3 iBook from restoring onto a G4 iBook?
>>
>> <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25784 > should answer your
>> question.
>
> No... I'm confused a little. The article talks about more recent or less
> recent but makes no mention of G3 or G4.

No, but it points to other links, such as
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25517>, which do describe
various build numbers.

> As my G3 iBook is running 10.3.9,
> would that then run on a G4 if it was of an age that it would have been
> installed with Panther 10.3.9 when it was new?

Only if the unique G4 components are included. If you want to transfer the G3
stuff to the G4, your best bet, IMHO, is to use the G4's restore disk, wipe the
G4, restore the software, hook up the G3 in target disk mode
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583>, and migrate
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25773 > the G3 stuff to the G4.
Another thing you can try is to clone the G3 to a bootable, external FireWire
HD, ensure that it can boot the G3, hook it up to the G4, and see if you can
boot up the G4 with it.

> The article talks of locating a 'build number' in 'about this Mac' but I
> could find no such details in either the iBook or eMac.

Once again, this link discusses those:
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106176>.

Start with <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303372>.