[G4] Sudden Slowdown

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Tue Jul 25 12:20:37 PDT 2006

On 07/25/06, SKYGRAM <skygram at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jim,
>
> You are describing symptoms that are happening to me. However I
> thought it was my old G4-400mhz Gigabit.
>
> Now I feel that it is probably OS-X.4.7.
>
> I am wondering if it isn't the result of the universal binaries. It is
> only since they have been included in OS-X that I have noticed a
> significant performance slow down.
>
> Would one of those small programs that remove that aspect of OS-X make
> any difference?
>
> When I updated to OS-X.4.7 a few weeks ago, I noticed a number of odd
> glitches occurring.
>
> I used Disk Warrior and most went away. All except the slow performance.

IMHO, based on beta-testing Tiger and its updates, it's not 10.4.7, but
something else. On my G4, 450 MP, 1.5 GB RAM, normal memory usage is:
Wired: 125 MB
Active: 189 MB
Inactive: 619 MB
Used: 911 MB
Free: 602 MB
VM Size: 5.8 GB

By normal, that's w/running Safari, Eudora, Terminal, Activity Monitor,
TextEdit, and MS Word 2004. To resolve the slowdown issue, start with
"Performance: Tuning Mac OS X performance," "The Spinning Beach Ball of Death,"
and "Problems from insufficient RAM and free hard disk space" at
<http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/faqs.html>. If none of those resolve the issue,
reinstall the 10.4.7 COMBO update, restart, repair permissions, and run the
Apple Hardware Test program to rule out  hardware problems.