[G4] printer networking question

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Jun 9 19:41:48 PDT 2006

On 9 June, 2006, at 5:43:26, jack law wrote:

> I am attempting to get my Mac Quicksilver which is running tiger
> and is located in my classroom to
> connect to my Laserwriter IIGS printer via the school network.  The
> computer sees the various printers
> throughout the school connected to the network, but it does not
> recognize my classroon laserwriter.

You may have a LaserWriter II with a "G" board in it, but there was
no such Apple LaserWriter as a IIGS model.

If you have a LWII-G printer, you have the ability to hook up via
localtalk, serial, and ethernet connections. Which method are you
trying to use?

If you have connected the LW-II to an ethernet network properly, it
should appear in the Printer Setup Utility program window of Tiger
OS. From there, simply follow the on-screen instructions to recognize
and access the printer. If it does not appear in the setup list, you
may not have it correctly connected, go back and examine your
connections.

If you are connected by any other method, you will not see the
printer in the school network and cannot access it via that network.
You will have to run the printer as a stand-alone printer, not in the
network. Since your QS G4 does not have any localtalk or serial
connection that works with the LWII series, you are pretty well out
of luck in this situation unless you have installed a USB-Serial
adapter and can make it work successfully. Good luck on that!

My final suggestion:

Toss out that old printer and use the school network printers for
your classwork printing.
If you must have a separate printer, use a hub in your classroom to
connect directly to the LWII-G after configuring it via Printer Setup
Utility.