[G4] re: Computer thinks hard disk is full

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Jun 13 12:22:11 PDT 2006

On Jun 13, 2006, at 6:54 AM, Fred Levine wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I went combing for culprits and
> found
> this anomaly: In the Library folder; logs; console; 501, there was
> a file
> that was 60 GB. I trashed it before writing down the name and I
> have no idea
> what console or 501 is. In any case, the computer seems happy now.

This probably means that OS X's maintenance scripts aren't running
regularly so the system's log files are being rotated and cleaned up.
This is likely the case if you turn off or sleep your computer
everyday, since these scripts are timed to run early in the morning.
One way to deal with this is to use a program like Onyx (http://
www.titanium.free.fr/), which is my favorite amongst the free
programs of this type.

Phil
--
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your
government when it deserves it."