[G4] Another Wireless Network Question

LeftyZ at aol.com LeftyZ at aol.com
Wed Jun 21 08:27:59 PDT 2006

In a message dated 6/21/2006 12:51:19 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ronsteinke at mac.com writes:

On 20  June, 2006, at 9:58:55, LeftyZ at aol.com wrote:

> While all three of  my laptops work GREAT in my office (where the
> router is) using  the wireless cards, when I go to the backyard
> (through the  house from my office -- about 100 feet from the
> router), the  two cheap PC laptops (each under $1,000) continue to
> work well  for internet access using their cards....yet, my $2,800
> 17-inch  G4 PowerBook gets no signal from the router at all.....
>
> This  is frustrating.  Any ideas?  Is the AirPort Card just  weaker?

ronsteinke responded.....

You  didn't say whether the PCs have any part of their cards exposed
outside of their cases. Are the cards being used in the PC laptops
the PCMCIA variety? Do they have an external portion of the card  that
sticks out of the PCMCIA slot?

It is very probable that  those cards have their antennae concealed in
the portion that  protrudes outside the laptop case. In which case,
they would have  the benefit of a more sensitive antenna than the Mac
laptop.

>From this, I would suggest that your difference in signal  strength
and performance is more dependent on the external antenna  that a
PCMCIA card sticks outside the laptop case.

Both the PCs are internal cards that came with the computers.....no  external
antennae.  I'm surprised that they'd have more sensitivity than  the Apple
with the AirPort card.

John