[G4] OT: Ergonomic Chairs

Anne Keller-Smith earthpigz at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 1 14:00:01 PST 2006

Richard and all -

Thanks for all the GREAT responses.

Question: where can I get some FREE ergonomic info? I have the desktop,
keyboard tray, and mouse/Wacom pen in an I think good position for me,
and am getting glasses for a 22" distance so am not craning neck
forward and up with the bifocals (hard on the neck!) At present am
CLOSE so can see without glasses but this is not ideal either (keyboard
tray needs to be practically under the desk).

I didn't even think of the need for arms on the chair but now I think
this might help.

Keyboard is 25" from floor, hm. Chair is up 19" tho, I put feet on
dictionaries, or lean forward a bit and put tiptoes on floor (the
latter is what I tend to do when not thinking, don't know if good or
bad). I prolly need to concentrate on keeping spine straight and lumbar
area supported. Present cheap chair has good lumbar support but that's
all, no arms or anything other than height adjustment. I do have pillow
strapped on to put me forward a bit as one respondent mentioned.

> Most of the chairs in staples are not ergonomic as at best they allow
> for height and maybe one or two other adjustments.

There's one that has three adjustments, height, back tilt and seat tilt
- well, four if you count arm height adjustments.

> A good chair to look at is the Aeron by Herman Miller it come in three
> sizes and and the smaller size should fit you.

Pricey but if I am getting xrays and such for my back it might be worth
it especially since I am losing work time due to terrible headaches.
Plus I paid $250 for health club to swim so I am spending money on this
issue, the question is not whether or not to spend, but how to spend
wisely. Working on bed issue, too - ugh. Used to sleep fine on a futon
(sigh).

> Next is the keyboard tray thet you have your keyboard on adjustable in
> height ( the height from the floor to the keyboard should be between
> 24-28" average is 26" for people from 5'2" to 6'2")

It is not adjustable but I could make it so since it is resting on a
bar with screws and I could engineer something.
>  and angle? the angle of your elbows should be at 90 degrees and their
> should be no break in your wrists when you type. Is you manual input
> device in the proper location (your mouse or trackball).

Ah - angle of elbows is NOT 90 degrees. For mousing yes as I have it
over the keypad so it's not too far to the right, but typing (I don't
do that much typing) the angle is more like 100 or 120 degrees. If I
make the chair lower I am too low for the monitor which is the Apple
LCD and stationary. (Why did Apple d/c the iMac with the infinitely
adjustable screen? Why didn't they make a monitor that would do this?)
If monitor too low I have to look up, not good for my neck.

Can and will raise keyboard by placing book under so it is the same
height as table-top to see if this improves things. Dilemma as keyboard
will not fit partially under desk then and I will have to crane neck to
see monitor. Off to computer glasses.

> One of the bigest reasons for neck strain in people of your age is
> their glasses.  They try to use the same bifocal or invisible lenes
> that they use for walking to work on their computer.  Because the near
> or intermediate portion of the lens is set for comfort when reading
> when you use it to look at the computer screen you are bending your
> neck in an unnatural manner giving you neck pain and perhaps permanent
> damage

Yeah - this could be the whole story. It all started in neck and
shoulders and my doctor said most likely really my lower back. Then
lower back began to hurt, almost because of suggestion. But neck is the
main culprit.

Again, MANY thanks.

Anne Keller Smith
Down to Earth Web Design