[G4] Re: Bandwith dropped

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 5 15:40:01 PST 2006

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:39:16 -0500, Michael wrote:
> All have been used w/the G4 & the G4 has used each of the four ports
> on the router.

If you read carefully you will see that I said connect the Mac directly to the modem (leaving out the router), the object being to remove all doubt that the fault doesn't lie somewhere in the lan setup.  Successful trouble shooting usually requires isolating all the possible sources of a problem and observing the results.  It appears to casual observation that you have eliminated the lan as a source of the problem but until you completely remove the router and attached devices that is not proven.  If you still have a problem my next step would be to backup and do a clean install of the OS on a re-formated drive.  If you have a spare drive you might just install that and then put a new version of the OS on that drive.  Install just the required software and boot from the new drive and see what happens.  If this still fails it may be a hardware problem and I would first suspect a below par memory stick as a first guess.  I have heard that 10.4 makes the memory more prone to
random errors that earlier systems.

BTW,

You state that the OS is 10.4.3.  It might be wise to upgrade.  That is relatively easy and just might solve the problem.

SK