[G4] Re: Bandwith dropped

Michael G-2 at att.net
Mon Mar 6 06:06:55 PST 2006

> Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:50:25 -0500
> From: James Asherman <jimash at optonline.net>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Re: Bandwith dropped

> On Mar 5, 2006, at 4:39 PM, Michael wrote:
>
>> Dunno why they're so unwilling to reveal much? Do they have no
>> faith in the user?  Seems like they'd prefer a scratch install/fix
>> to digging into the OS via the Terminal...
>>
>> Michael
>

> I don't know if you have tried this.

I did...but...well...

>   Go into your network preferences, and configure the ethernet
> manually using either the address that is already showing or a
> similar one you can get from inside your router.
> This worked wonders on my #2.

No, didn't work for me.

+ I even established a 'new NETWORK' and tried every possible
config..with that one.

However, as I've heard of 'fixes' which (worked!?) did not follow the
'typical' GUI config/routine - -
It makes me even more certain that a true fix is possible if I can
attack the problem w/out using the GUI.
See, you used it -  - but were able to override the 'automatic'
addressing (which obvious wasn't working, in yer case).

That is, (if/when) a file or code isn't responding to the directive (and
in your case you were able to 'jangle' it w/out going to the Terminal) -
- I gotta do more & clearly not rely on he GUI to follow my 'orders'.

So, thanks or anudder idear!

I tends to support my point that it's prolly simple glitch and the 'fix'
varies (depending on what it takes to shake-up the glitched commands?).

Since I may not be clear on how I'd attack this if I knew a bit
more...here's a typical approach in an M$ box with a similar prob:

EX:
Problem:
You may experience one or all of the following symptoms:
*  An error occurred while renewing interface 'Internet': An operation
was attempted on something that is not a socket.
*   When you issue the ipconfig /renew command, you may receive the
following error message: ìAn error occurred while renewing interface
local area connection: an operation was attempted on something that is
not a socket. Unable to contact driver Error code 2î
*    In the Device Manager, when you click Show Hidden Devices, TCP/IP
Protocol Driver is listed as disabled under "Non-Plug and Play drivers",
with error code 24.
*   When you create a dial-up connection, you may receive the following
error message: Error 720: No PPP Control Protocols Configured
*   When you issue an ipconfig command at a command prompt, you may
receive an error message that is similar to one of the following:
* The operation failed since no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation
The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced.
*    When you issue the Netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt command at a
command prompt, you may receive the following error message:
Initialization function INITHELPERDLL in IPMONTR.DLL failed to start
with error code 10107.
===
Solution?

Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type regedit, and then
click OK. Locate the following registry subkeys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2
Right-click each key, and then click Delete. Click Yes to confirm the
deletion of each key. Close Regedit.
Locate the Nettcpip.inf file in %winroot%\inf, and then open the file in
Notepad. Locate the [MS-TCPIP.PrimaryInstall] section.
Edit the Characteristics = 0xa0 entry and replace 0xa0 with 0x80. Save
the file, and then exit Notepad.
In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local
Area Connection, and then select Properties.
On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.
  In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.
In the Copy manufacturer's files from: text box, type c:\windows\inf,
and then click OK. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.
Note This step will return you to the Local Area Connection Properties
screen, but now the Uninstall button is available.
Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click Uninstall, and then click Yes.
Restart your computer
In Control Panel, double-click Network Connections, right-click Local
Area Connection, and then select Properties. On the General tab, click
Install, select Protocol, and then click Add. In the Select Network
Protocols window, click Have Disk.
In the Copy Manufacturer's files from text box, type c:\windows\inf, and
then click OK. Select Internet Protocol, and then click OK.

Or?
Start/Run --> cmd.exe
and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
netsh.exe winsock reset
and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
If that didn't work, see if registering the following DLLs helps:
  From Start/Run, run the following commands:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
then
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll