[G4] DSL and Cable modems: Which is better?

Jones Earle earle.jones at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 16:37:17 PST 2006

My answer is Cable modem.

Perhaps it is peculiar to my locality, but I have fantastically fast
modem service through Comcast.  When downloading from a fast server
(for example getting updated software from Apple), the peak DL rates
are something like 700 kBytes/sec, or 5.6 mbits/sec.  That is
equivalent to about four T-1 lines.

The average DL speed is of course less, but almost always 200kBytes
(1.6 Mbits) per second.  That's about a T-1 line.  The cost is about
$55 per month, once you get past the introductory offers (first month
$20, etc.)

The people I know who are on DSL get a 'guaranteed' 396 kbit/sec rate
or about 50kBytes/sec.

I don't know the price of DSL.

DSL uses the same phone lines that your voice phone uses.  (The local
telephone techs call this "flashlight wiring".) That is why you must
be within a certain distance (about three miles) from the nearest
telephone central station or repeater.

The problems that Comcast had a few years ago have been solved.  The
worst situation I face today is when, for some unknown reason, I find
my internet connection dead when I start up.  I unplug the modem for
a half-minute or so, plug it back in, and things are fine.  This
might happen about once a month.

I live in the San Francisco Bay area on the peninsula about 30 miles
south of San Francisco?

What is your experience?  I would be especially interested in DSL
performance and price.

Thanks!

earle
*