[G4] Panther or Tiger?

Tony Johansen tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au
Tue Mar 7 10:28:46 PST 2006

On 8/3/2006 2:47 AM, "Anne Keller-Smith" <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi, Tony -
>
> My plan is when this machine malfunctions, I'll send it off for repair
> or junk it,
> then buy the next Mac with whatever OS is on it.
>
> Only question: will my programs work on the new OS with Intel? I think,
> maybe just
> not as fast as possible with upgrades.
>
> Need to upgrade programs, too!

Anne, your original question regarded Tiger or Panther. Intel is another
matter. Be aware that Intel will not run any OS 9 programs at all. OS X on a
G4 or G5 has 'Classic' mode, not so Intel Macs. Initial reports seem to
indicate that OS X non Intel (non 'universal') will run on Intel but despite
Steve Jobs claims that they work normally, it appears they are very slow as
with Windows programs in Virtual PC.

My personal preference is to try to buy a new G5 tower just as they run out
so that I don't need to invest heavily in new programs for a few years, and
to get me through the teething problems stage of the Intel Macs. It should
be something for you to consider if you will require a 'classic' environment
to run OS 9 programs. Otherwise you might need to go the whole hog with
software as well as hardware.

Tony
http://www.tonyjohansen.com
A Life Of Art