[G4] Panther or Tiger?

Alex Hurst corkflor at iol.ie
Tue Mar 7 17:08:52 PST 2006

Tony and Al writ:

>>Anne, your original question regarded Tiger or Panther. Intel is another
>>matter. Be aware that Intel will not run any OS 9 programs at all. OS X on a
>>G4 or G5 has 'Classic' mode, not so Intel Macs. Initial reports seem to
>>indicate that OS X non Intel (non 'universal') will run on Intel but despite
>>Steve Jobs claims that they work normally, it appears they are very slow as
>>with Windows programs in Virtual PC.
>
>The latest Macworld magazine has a review of the Intel iMac.  The
>speed hit for running non-universal applications, using Rosetta
>software translation, depends on what older machine is being
>compared, what older machine you are leaving behind.

What's very clear is that Classic is a no-no for new Intel Macs.
That's why I won't be buying one. I have too many rock-solid Classic
programs which are still useful, so why spend a lot of money
upgrading? My accounting program is 12 years old, does everything I
ask of it, and has never, ever, crashed - even in Classic mode.

On Tiger/Panther, I run Panther 10.3.9 on a Sawtooth G4, with a
couple of G3s networked in and working fine. OS X is a revelation
after Mac OS 9.2.2, but I couldn't have handled it without David
Pogue's excellent book 'The Missing Manual'.
By all accounts Apple seem to have done their usual SNAFU with Tiger:
some things work better; some things just don't work.

Panther in contrast appears to be something they eventually got right
in its last incarnation. Never a problem for me - unlike OS 9.2.2.

It's a great pity that Apple in Intel mode haven't addressed backward
compatibility seriously for all those devotees of traditional Mac OS.

The nearest analogy I can quote is Nikon Pro SLR cameras. The
original lens mount was designed around 45 years ago. But, with great
ingenuity, Nikon's engineers have developed the mount so it can
handle matrix metering, auto-focus and a lot of other things. The
really interesting point is that I can still use almost any Nikon
lens of whatever age on any Nikon camera of whatever age - obviously
in some cases without the full capabilities of either camera or lens.

Personally I don't think Apple are supporting us so well. Going Intel
is a commercial decision because IBM can't yet produce a chip of
similar speed.

But then, how important is chip speed? The difference between
broadband and dial-up is radical, because you're moving from one
dimension of the Net (dial-up and pay through the nose for a slow -
56K - service)  to another (always on, doesn't tie up your phone
line, and (even at my modest 2 Mbps) blindingly fast.

I can't remember what Apple have quoted in terms of increased chip
speed for the Intel product,  but even if it's double, what practical
difference does that make to 99% of Mac addicts? My 'ancient' G4
Sawtooth has a lot of life left in it.

Best

Alex

--