[G4] G4 problems

S. Kennedy skenn at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 11 06:41:30 PST 2006

Hi,

Has anyone on the list had a similar problem and if so what was the outcome?

I developed a problem with my desktop today (G4 MDD).  It is the same problem that I had about 6 months ago except that at that time the problem went away almost as quickly as it appeared and I had no idea why.

The symptoms are simple.  When the start button on the front of the computer is pushed in it lights up but only as long as it is held in.  There is no chime, fan noise or any other indication that anything is happening.  I removed and checked the pram battery and worked all the cable connectors I could think of but still nothing happens.  I think the most likely culprit is a relay in the startup circuit but without a service manual it is hard to know just how that works.

Is there any alternative method of starting up a G4 MDD?