[G4] File system error -36 when installing OS 9.2 on G4

Sims David dmsims at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 11 08:45:00 PST 2006

On Mar 11, 2006, at 7:17 AM, Robert Walker wrote:

> I am trying to set up my G4 to run classic. I can boot from the 9.2
> CD which indicates that the CD drive is working. I start the
> Install 9.2 process, I see the Mac Os window, and then i get a File
> system error - 36 (I/O error).  I have tried  a different CD  drive
> and it still happens.  I finally installed OS 10.3 so that I can
> access this site.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rob Walker

Hello,

How was the drive formatted? When you format a drive using the OSX
utility, there is an option to install OS 9 drivers. If you don't
check this box, I don't believe you can install OS 9, although I
don't know if it would produce the error you are reporting. Can you
reformat the drive in OSX, checking the OS9 driver option, and then
try installing 9?

David