[G4] Applications that Won't Open on 17" PowerBook

William Duquet skygram at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 05:24:24 PST 2006

William,

I spotted this yesterday at the MacFixit site.

http://www.macfixit.com/index.shtml?MFI_Session=b04e8128c20b6b6cafb840ea73086802

I have cut and pasted it into this email message.

Good luck,

Bill
Montreal

Tutorial: What to do when a Mac OS X application will not launch

Delete appropriate .plist files A non-launching application can be the
result of a corrupt or otherwise defunct associated .plist file (for
more information on exactly what a .plist file is, see this series of
articles)

Most of the preferences files that we will be talking about are stored
in a folder named Preferences, and located in the Library folder of
your home directory, e.g.:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.
Go to the ~/Library/Preferences folder, and search for any .plist
files that may be associated with the application you are having
trouble with. Drag the .plist file(s) [many applications have more
than one associated .plist file, so be careful to scour for all of
them] to the Desktop, then re-attempt launching the application.

You can also use an application like Preferential Treatment to check
for corrupt .plist files.

Re-install the application Try re-installing your application from its
original media or download source.