[G4] Best program for DVD burning

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Thu Mar 23 13:14:54 PST 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 4:02 PM, GDB-MDD-X.4.5 wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2006, at 3:18 PM, James Asherman wrote:
>

>> On Mar 23, 2006, at 2:42 PM, GDB-MDD-X.4.5 wrote:
>>
>>>  The video compression is set to MPEG-4 with 50% Codec quality at
>>> a 320x240 resolution.

Always looks bad on a TV.

>>> (Note: I have thought about trying the 640x320 resolution, but
>>> from what I've read the VHS quality is not enhanced that much
>>

>> You have a lot of good ideas. The foregoing is not one of them.
>> Jim
>
> I'm here to learn as much as anyone else Jim, please explain.

Mpeg4 at 50% quality at 320x240 just has to be significantly worse
resolution than your VHS tapes.
  It's less pixels than were there to begin with and 50% quality of a
highly compressed codec.
Watching those DVD's on a big TV should be a pretty murky experience.
While I would use a .dv codec,what is more importat is that I think
shrinking your res and limiting quality are parameters that would
IMHO make it
a waste to commit such material to DVD.
Jim