[G4] System Performance Memory Results

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Mon May 8 21:35:37 PDT 2006

The results are in and the performance is interesting. I ran 2 tests
five times on each of the ram configurations. Here are the averages
of the results .

Super Pi lower times in seconds is better

Xbench score# out of 100%

512MB PC-133
512MB PC-100
512MB PC-133

Super pi ~ 229 seconds Best Run 225, don't know how i got this before
but i got it as a single result before.
Xbench ~  34.29 score #

512MB PC-133
---------------------
512MB PC-133

Super pi ~ 233 seconds
Xbench ~ 34.62 score #

512MB PC-133
128MB PC-133
512MB PC-133

Super pi ~ 237 seconds
Xbench ~ 34.21 score #

So there is no significant performance penalty it seems the 33 Mhz
does not make much of a difference.

One thing of note is that the 512MB PC-100 Ram branded Crucial is
rated on the side as PC133 but shows up as PC-100 in the System
profiler. I wonder if that is a labeling mistake from Crucial?

OLD QUESTION:
-------------------------------------
Does anyone know from a past experience how much of a performance
penalty is achieved by doing something like this.

With all the talk of memory on here lately PC-133 Vs PC-100 ,etc.

I decided to do some checking of my own and discovered to my surprise
a PC-100 module. My computer is a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 867 Mhz
and it can take full advantage of PC-133 memory with a 133 MHZ system
bus. Well, anyway I was wondering if anyone knew of how much of a
real world performance penalty I am causing myself. To my
understanding this computer slows all of the other ram to 100 Mhz if
a PC-100 module is used.

I will do the test myself next week of pulling out the PC-100
module , but for now i am just wondering how much if any of a speed-
boost will be noticed.

Now I am running:

512MB PC-133
512MB PC-100
512MB PC-133

Plan to test it without the PC-100 chip, and also with a 128 MB
PC-133 chip. I wonder what I might get for results....  If I will
need to buy a 512 MB PC-133 or not....

I plan to do performance testing using xbench and Super Pi

  I will post the result next week sometime. Too busy now with
Finals, etc...

Daniel J. Brieck Jr.